Wednesday, December 7, 2011

What in the world do we eat?

I get asked this question ALL the time. Luckily, we started with the Intro Diet which is very restricted, and as we are moving into the Full Gaps Diet, it seems like there are TONS of things we can eat! Basically, we can eat:

Healthy fats (animal fats, butter, ghee, coconut oil, nut/seed oils and olive oil)
Meat (Chicken, Beef, Duck, Goose, Wild Game, Pork etc.)
Fish (Wild Caught)
Veggies (cooked with fat, raw or ferments)
Fruits
Nuts/Seeds
Some beans
Fermented Dairy (Yoghurt, Sour Cream, Kefir, Cheese)

We are not quite on the Full Diet yet, so some of the above is still restricted. A typical day would be:

A glass of lemon water first thing in the morning/ or freshly pressed juice (carrot/apple combo).

Breakfast:

Fried eggs with steamed carrots, broccoli, and tons of butter or Ghee.

Lunch: Dinner leftovers with a cup of broth and either 1 tsp. of sauerkraut juice, or one bite of sauerkraut. (We are all at different stages with this one.)

Dinner: Soup, stew, chicken legs, roast, hamburgers, tacos, mini-meatloafs, fish, chicken nuggets, spaghetti (Gaps-style), chicken alfredo (Gaps-style), etc.  Usually 2 veggies, and a cup of broth. The more fat, the merrier on these meals.

That's it! I keep it pretty simple. I plan one meal a day for dinner, re-heat leftovers for lunch, and we typically always have the same breakfast. It took me a while to get this routine down, and figured out, but it really works for us. On top of the three meals a day, I have a few food items that I typically make each week.

Snacks:

Butternut squash pancakes
Sausage patties
Graham crackers
Bread or muffins
Yoghurt
Sour Cream
Coconut Milk (new staple)
and...I'm usually always soaking or dehydrating some nuts to make nutbutter or nut flour for baking.

My Husband's weekly food items he makes are: (He makes the treats!)

Homemade chocolate (Super yum!)
Peanut Butter Bars
Smoothies

Present and Future Breakfast Ideas:

Fried Eggs w/ bacon
Scrambled eggs w/ sausage
Omelettes
Muffins with Yoghurt
Fruit with Yoghurt
Granola w/ Coconut milk
Almond Flour Waffles
Coconut Flour Crepes
Banana Pancakes
Banana Bread and Yogurt

Snack Ideas:

Butternut Squash Pancakes
Carrots or mini cucumbers with dip
boiled eggs
avacados and avacados with a little salsa in the middle
homemade jerky
chicken muffins
deviled eggs
apples with nut butter
applesauce with yogurt, raisons, cinnamon
yoghurt with blueberries
smoothies
juicing

Dinner and lunch Ideas:

Hamburgers
BBQ pork
Meatballs
Almond flour crusted chicken nuggets
Beef or chicken tacos, wrapped in lettuce
Cowboy stew
Roast w/ cauliflower potatoes
Salmon Croquettes
Fish
Salmon w/ Dill
Honey Chicken Drumsticks
Mini-meatloafs
Almond crusted chicken thighs
Cauliflower potatoe-sausage soup
Chicken Alfredo on Spaghetti Squash
Turkey Hash
Moraccan-stuffed acorn squash
Turkey green-chili stew
Pumpkin soup
Apple Cinnamon Pork Loin
Spaghetti w/ meatballs, red sauce on top of spaghetti squash

I know I need to be better at posting recipies, so that will be my goal for the next couple of posts!!

Hope this gives you some good ideas!

Keep eatin' fat!

Brittney

5 comments:

  1. This gives me some great ideas...thank you for posting!!

    How much yogurt do you typically eat in a serving? I give my kids a lot of yogurt/sour cream/kefir and they seem to tolerate it just fine but I am wondering if there is ever a limit of too much?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey kami,

    Only my youngest can tolerate dairy, so he will have about 1/4 to 1/2 c. Of yogurt with blueberries every once in a while when the other kiddos are not around. My husband and I will eat about the same amount in one sitting. I think the gaps yahoo group says, when well tolerated, you can have 1/4 to 1/2 c. Of fermented foods with every meal. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want your alfredo, cowboy stew, turkey hash, graham cracker and crepe recipes, please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brittney!

    I am so excited to find this journal of yours! i had heard that you were trying this awhile back, and I just saw Holly tonight and asked her about. She sent me here...I love it! A year ago I started the Specific Carb Diet ... it helped me so much. I am not super strict with it right now, but plan to get back on it - its amazing what we can do to help our bodies get back on track. I'll keep checking in often! Happy New Year!

    Ali (garns) Evans

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ali,

    How are you? So good to hear from you. Yes, I have been a bit of a slacker, but my goal for 2012 is to be a better blogger, and post more recipes. The GAPS diet is based off the SCD diet, with a few tweeks, so very similiar. I'd love to hear your story some time!! Happy New Year to you too!

    ReplyDelete