Thursday, January 5, 2012

Graham Crackers and Detox

We survived the holidays! Wahoo, Gaps-style!

One of my kids favorite snacks, is homemade graham crackers. My sister-n-law gave me this recipe, and I tweeked it for GAPS. She said she even liked them better then the original, so gaps food can be GOOD!





Homemade Graham Crackers:

4 c. of almond flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 c. honey
1 tsp. vanilla
4 T. of coconut oil, butter or ghee

Mix the dry ingredients together. Add the liquids. Stir together until well blended. Grease some parchment paper, and place on top of a jelly roll pan. Press out the mixture onto the pan until it covers the whole pan. Cut into 2 inch squares and poke them with a fork (so they look like Graham Crackers). Bake 10-15 min. at 350 degrees. They should be slightly brown when ready. Enjoy!

DETOX:

It's been a Major DETOX week, or more like a HEALING CRISIS for my older son. We started juicing, which is a gentle, natural way to detox the body. We also upped the fermented foods, which is another way to detoxify the body.

He had flu-like symptoms Saturday evening, that turned into a huge asthmatic coughing attack on Monday, and both nights, he had Night Terrors. A lot of his issues were coming forward all at the same time. Luckily I was ready to take on what we call, "die-off."

A couple ways to help with Detox or Die-off:

Epsom, Baking soda, Apple Cider Vinegar baths (alternating)
Drinking lots of water
Resting
Enemas
Activated Charcoal
Drinking Broth
Walking outside in fresh air

For my son, the baths and enemas seem to be very effective. So Monday, I started the baths with essential oils. The coughing seemed to die down a little, but it was very deep. He was seriously coughing every second, and it was soooo deep. I gave him plenty of broth and water, but he needed something more. I gave him an enema. His nose became very runny, as if something had finally unclogged. About an hour later he went to bed. He woke up once in the night coughing, (which was better than the night before). I gave him one more dose of eucalyptus essential oil. By morning, coughing was gone. I had a happy boy, with barely a whisper of a voice from all the coughing that was done the day before.

Two weeks earlier, I had started him on the Juicing. A lot of his symptoms were getting stronger and stronger as I was pulling toxins from his body. When I upped the fermented foods, it added just enough detoxifying to create this "Healing Crisis." There not fun to go through, but once they are over, he is so much more alert, and his stimming decreases too. People on the GAPS Yahoo forum say that the die-off will happen less and less as you move through the diet, and that his symptoms will hopefully become less and less until they disappear. We will see what happens with Crew, but I am seeing some good things!

I had some die-off too, but more on that in another post!

Eat more fat, it's how the tummy and brain heals!

Brittney Smith

3 comments:

  1. My son, the one we are doing GAPS for had a fever yesterday, we did broth, an epsom bath and eo's. This morning he felt great, but as the day has gone on, his throat has gotten sore and he's had a headache, also the deep cough. How do you know, especially this time of year if it is the common cold, or detoxing? We have not introduced anything new, maybe that is the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For Crew, I had just introduced some new things, and with it being more acute than normal, and with the addition of many night terrors, I knew it was something more than the typical winter cold, or detox. It was more acute, and healed so quickly with the detox protocols. Also, I had just started juicing too, and was not feeling myself that weekend as well, but in other ways than the flu. (my typical detox reactions, nausea, insomnia, anxiety etc.) Hope this helps, I know sometimes its hard to know, especially if there detox symptoms mirror a cold or flu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have converted to this recipe and like it even more than the original! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete