Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Get your D on!

I can't believe it's December tomorrow, and I wore shorts and a short sleeve shirt outside today. What a beautiful day!

My oldest son is deficient in Vitamin D, along with over 60% of Americans! Vitamin D is soooo important for overall health! Why are we so deficient? Because we live inside. With the computer age, we all of a sudden didn't have to go anywhere. We can bank online, pay our bills online, shop online, and even grocery shop online. Most of us work inside, and if we do go outside, we slather ourselves and our kids with sunscreen. I used to do this as well, until I found out that skin cancer is really a weakening of our cells caused by toxins and chemicals that we ingest or that seep through our skin. Sunscreen is just adding to the total toxic burden.

When I really think about it, humans have lived outside for millions of years. We were meant to be outside. I don't think the sun would be so huge, cover the entire earth and shine brightly for many hours a day, if we were suppose to hide from it. I also think of other living things like plants. They need the basics; water, food, and sun in order to grow and live. I'm pretty sure we are the same.

This entire blog post was written for me, to rededicate myself to getting outside. We had done pretty good for a while, but preparing for birthdays and holidays the last couple of months have kept me inside for the majority of time. Today we got out, and it felt great!

For us, we will get out daily, at least 30min. to an hour. Work up slowly, so you don't burn. For me there are exceptions for sunscreen use. I would never go to the beach for 6 hours without it, but I would try and find a sunscreen with the most natural ingredients and take plenty of big umbrellas for shade.

So enjoy! Go outside, ride bikes, go for walks, play with your kids, and for those of you in cooler weather, go snowboarding, or have a snowball fight! Don't fear the sun, enjoy the sun!

...and I hear, that the more good fats you eat, the less you burn, so keep eating fats!


Brittney

2 comments:

  1. That's what I miss the most - the SUN!!! Last winter, we didn't see it for days and days. It's also amazing how the sun affects your mood too! I'm looking forward to getting my Vitamin D when we come to AZ next week! Thanks for the motivation Britt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see u! Yes, I believe sun affects your mood too, maybe that's why AZ and CA people are the happiest people on earth! ;)

    ReplyDelete