Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Don't be Afraid!

I know what your thinking! What in the world is up with your blog title?? Seems kind of scary huh? I mean, who eats fat these days? We do!

Several months ago, our family started the GAPS diet (Gut and Psychology Syndrome), by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride. Originally it was for our oldest son who had food allergies, bouts of eczema, chronic allergies, digestive issues, stimming, asthma and a plethora of other things going on in his little body. This diet was too tough to have him do on his own, so our family decided to join in. I thought I would let the other kids eat the diet at home, and then eat whatever at friends houses etc., but soon I found out we were all reacting in one way or another, and strict adherence needed to be followed.

This diet seals and heals the gut lining, while eliminating toxins from the body, and adding back in beneficial bacteria, in order to eliminate the above conditions.

It's been quite a learning curve for this SAD (Standard American Diet) family, but we're giving it a go, and seeing where it takes us! So....what do we eat??

Lots of fat! Not just any old fat, the good fat! Butter (from grass-fed cows), Ghee, tallow(beef fat), bacon, coconut oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, full-fat yogurt, sour cream, kefir and plenty of homemade meat broth. These fats are what heal and seal the gut lining, so foods can be properly digested again. And, did u know your brain is 60% fat? If u dont feed it the good fats, it can't thrive. Soooo many people have reversed Alzheimers, by changing there diet to a high fat diet. Your cells are made up of fat too, so if u want your cells working properly, eat plenty of the good fats too! There are so many benefits to eating good fats, that I will touch on in later posts.

We eat lots of protein
Lots of veggies
Lots of fermented foods (these add back the good bacteria)
Some fruit, nuts and honey
No grains, starches or sugars

We've been doing the diet for 7 months now. We have had some great improvements, lots of die-off (or detoxing), and some minor set backs. This blog is to document our journey, allow me a place to vent once in a while, and maybe help someone along the way!

Happy reading, and eating (butter of course!)

Britt

5 comments:

  1. Love it Britt, your amazing. I went to hear Julie Mathews talk last night & she talked a little about the GAPS diet & SCD diet. I should have had you come with me. I was bragging to my autism friends that you were doing this diet, they were impressed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited you started this blog, Britt! I always wonder how your new diet is going, so now I can just check the blog. Hope all is well with you guys! We'll be in AZ for Christmas (woohoo) so we'll have to do a girl's night or two!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Britt! I am so glad you are going this. Not sure how you have the time but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever title Britt! Shea and I have watched Forks Over Knifes and FOOD Inc. on Netflix and are gun-hoe about changing our diets. We'll have to discuss more...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome Britt! Glad that you are going to be able to document and post this. You guys all look great! :)

    ReplyDelete