Thursday, September 29, 2011

SAD diet to Whole Foods

My brother watched the documentary Forks over Knives, and became instantly interested in the food he was eating off his plate. Where did IT come from? How did IT grow, how did IT eat, how did IT LIVE?? There have been a few documentaries showing how food is now produced in America. It's kind of revolting, and amazing how all of these foods are making us sick!

Before starting the GAPS Diet, and after I realized food was a HUGE contributor to my oldest sons ailments, I started discovering Whole Foods. I took an awesome "Real food for Rookies" class by Kelly the Kitchen Kop. (You can google her.) Kelly follows the Nourishing Traditions food plan by Sally Fallon. It is based on eating Traditional Foods that many countries have eaten since the dawn of time, before heart disease, obesity, diabetes, asthma etc. were developed. This class helped me step by step, clean out my SAD (Standard American Diet) pantry, and start filling it with whole foods.  So what did I replace?

Fats: I changed from canola oil, margarine, shortening etc., to coconut oil, real organic butter, Palm oil, Olive oil
Sugars: I changed from white sugar, to Stevia, raw honey, and Sucanat
Meats: I changed from regular corn-fed meat, to grass-fed beef, free-range chicken and Wild Caught seafood
Dairy: Regular pasteurized milk to Raw milk, full-fat yogurt and full-fat sr. cream
Eggs: Regular eggs, to free-range, Organic eggs
Veggies and fruits: I try to buy Organic when possible. There is a "Dirty Dozen" list and a "Clean 15" list. I buy the dirty dozen fruits and vegetables for sure Organic.
Herbs and Spices- I try to buy Organic when possible, and usually I buy each spice individually. It's kind of alarming whats in some of those BBQ spice, or taco seasoning mixes.
Condiments: Now, I make my own, but if u start reading labels, try to find some with just a few ingredients, and try to know what they are.

I noticed as I went along this journey, that a lot of processed food and store-bought food was filled with artificial colors, flavors, msg, and ingredients that could harm the body. So, the more I learned, the more I ended up buying whole foods, and making meals at home from fresh, whole ingredients.

One of the main issues I have with "Forks over Knives", is that it is based on a "plant-based diet" or code word for vegetarian. I love my fruits and vegetables, don't get me wrong, but I believe we need our meats and fats as well.

Fruits and Vegetables are cleansing. Protein and fats are building. New vegetarians, for the first few years, feel fabulous! Why? Because they are cleansing, cleansing, cleansing, and believe me, we Americans need a lot of cleansing! But, after a while, many vegetarians become too skinny, there faces start to look hollow, there hair starts thinning, many become pale and some report needing major dental work because of new cavities. Why? Because they are never building there body back up, with protein and fats. You know how u can eat an all veggie salad and never feel full? It's because veggies don't feed the body, they cleanse the body. Now, when u eat a salad with beans, chicken, eggs, avocado, and dressing, you get full. Why? Because the fats and proteins are actually feeding your body.  Your brain is 60% fat, and your cells are made up of fat too, so u need the good fats, to feed your brain and cells. The first thing I noticed when starting to eat a lot of fats, my brain-fog lifted, and my husband lost 10 pounds super quick!

Eating protein and fat will give you Iron, Calcium, Magnesium, all major vitamins except vit. C and Vit K1. They will help with muscle building, collagen for wrinkles, calcium for strong bones and teeth, energy, regulate hormones, memory etc.

What I loved about Forks and Knives? It showed what harm can be done if we continue to eat a processed food diet. So, let's change one food group in our pantry this week!

 Where do I see myself after GAPS? Probably somewhere between a Whole Foods Nourishing Traditions diet and a Paleo Diet. (You can google it, or more to come!)

Keep Eatin' fat!

Britt

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I think you are doing a lot of good by writing this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your posts, Britt! Nutrition has always fascinated me. Not that I am very nutritious but I have hopes to be better and better. You are inspiring me!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete