Friday, November 4, 2011

My Fav!

There have been a few recipies that have been my fav, since starting the GAPS Diet. I'm going to name a few in hopes to post them all at some point.

Homemade Chocolate Bar
Homemade PB (So Yummy!) (Spread a little PB on the chocolate bar, and Heaven has been made!)
Cauliflower Potatoe, Sausage Soup
Graham Crackers
Honey Sausages
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Brussel Sprouts w/ Bacon
Crepes
Butternut Squash/Spaghetti Squash (Ok, this isn't really a recipie, but my kids insisted I post this too!)


Since we are licking every drop of our bowls tonight, I thought I would post the Cauliflower Potatoe, Sausage Soup. (And for those of you who tried it on Halloween night, I made it with ground beef instead of sausage, and it was YUCK, in comparison to the sausage.) Tonight it has warmed my soul!

CAULIFLOWER POTATOE, SAUSAGE SOUP

2 T. Butter (plus a chunk of butter for later)
1 onion Chopped
4 cloves of garlic minced
3 Lrg. heads of Cauliflower
4 C. of Chicken broth (Try to make some of your own if u can!)
3 T. salt
1 T. Pepper
6 carrots diced into smaller chunks
1 lb. of ground pork, seasoned with about 1/4 tsp. salt, pepper, sage, thyme and fennel

I feed 5 in this family, and always try to make double or triple of everything we eat, so we can have leftovers. So, when your done, this fills an 8 qt. Stock pot.

Ok, put about 2 T. of butter or Ghee in a stock pot on medium heat. Throw in the onion and minced garlic. Stir it around til' the onions become translucent. (About 5-10 min.) Chop up your cauliflower and add it to the pot. At this point I add more butter, (maybe another Tablespoon).  Stir til it's all mixed up a bit. Add your Chicken stock. Put the lid on, and bring it to a boil. Once it's at a boil, I turn it down to a medium heat, (still boiling). Let it cook til' the cauliflower is really soft. (About 20-25 min.) While that is going, I boil my chopped up carrots until soft, and I make up my ground sausage w/ seasonings in a medium skillet. Once the Cauliflower is soft, I take my immersion blender and blend the whole soup together til' it's all smooth. I then add the chopped carrots, sausage, salt and pepper, and a hunk of butter. (A hunk is usually about 2 T.) Enjoy!

On the Gaps Diet, we can't have any starches. Unfortunatly the bad bugs like them too much, so lucky enough, cauliflower can be steamed, blended up with butter, salt and pepper, and you have mashed potatoes. I was missing a creamy potatoe soup, and I thought, well why can't I make soup with cauliflower to mimic potatoes, luckily I had made some sausage that morning, and I thought that sounded good in it too. So, with a few carrots later, our Cauliflower Potatoe/Sausage Soup was born!

 I can't leave you hangin', so I wanted to post a treat too! The Carrot Cake Cupcakes are not my recipe, but you can search for it over at wellfedhomestead.com. There called "Coconut Flour Carrot Muffins". Super Delish!!

Keep Eatin' Fat!

Brittney






( I think it's more fun when pics. are posted. This is my now 6 year old daughter at 2 yrs. old. So cute, they grow so fast!)

3 comments:

  1. This soups sounds really good!! I'll have to try it out. We need warm soups these days!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this soup was delish! it reminded me of potato chowder. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, try it Hol! I'm glad you liked it Kami. It's so nice so many mom's are blogging about there GAPS recipies. We need variety!

    ReplyDelete