Tuesday, January 10, 2012

FAT & SUGAR

Tiffany Higgins, a fabulous nutritionist, came to speak at our Relief Society Meeting tonight. She is so smart! She knows all about nutrition, and the body. I can seriously listen to her for hours. Here are some of her key points, and good reminders to myself;

If you can change one thing...change your fats.

Your cell wall is made up of fat. You want stable cells, that do not mutate, so you need a strong wall. You must eat plenty of good fats in order to keep those cells stable and strong.

Your brain in some areas are 90% fat. In order to have a healthy, functioning brain, eat good fats.

Good fats are: Butter, Coconut Oil, Animal fats, Olive oil, Ghee, Palm Oil

Childrens' diets should be made up of 30-80% fat. Their brains and bodies are still growing.

Eat about 3 Tbl. of coconut oil a day for weight loss.

Olive oil should be refrigerated after 10 -12 weeks (Yikes!)

Coconut oil is cheaper then butter, incorporate and ROTATE all good fats, they all have there importance!

Sugar is sooooo damaging to the body. It is so incredibly processed, it is foreign to the body.

It takes 32 molecules of calcium to breakdown 1 molecule of sugar, so sugar is depleting your body of minerals that it desperately needs.

Keep good/healthy sugars and treats on hand, so you don't make a quick Circle K run.

Natural sugars: Honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar, stevia etc.

Eat natural sugar with fiber or fat to slow the digestion process of the sugar.

Shop at Azure Standard for better deals.

Add more minerals to your baths, water, and food.


So, the biggest key, eat MORE good fats, eat LESS sugar.

Tiffany shared her candy bar recipe with all of us. The first time I tasted it, my sister-n-law made it for us. It was soooo good!  We have it almost on a weekly basis, but I have to confess, I have actually never made it. My husband is the candy bar maker around here! Tomorrow I plan on posting it, and then you must try it!

If your interested in learning more about Tiffany and the classes she does, you can go to her website at healthorigins.org to get more info. She is a WEALTH of information, for better HEALTH!

Keep eating fat!

Brittney

4 comments:

  1. I am soooo jealous you got to hear her speak again! Thanks for the reminders, and refrigerate olive oil, who knew??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Britt! I made your cauliflower sausage soup yesterday...it was a hit...Kate even went back for seconds! I love the idea of eating mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes. It's been fun to read up on your gaps stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandi,

    I know, im freaking out about the oil. I bought 2 gallons of some really pure olive oil from California, and they've been sitting in my pantry for 4 months. Oops! Tiffany was really good!

    Corinne,

    I'm glad u guys liked it! Crazy that mashed cauliflower tastes so much like potatoes. Not a bad substitute. I miss u guys! I might come up for womens conference with some friends, so I'll have to stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your post on fats. I linked up your post on my blog over at wordpress. i hope that is ok. We are eating REAL Foods loaded with fats and enzymes. Love your blog. We did GAPS for awhile and now we are on a modified form of it.
    P.SI am friends w/ Lindsay Garns
    http://greenbootliving.com/

    ReplyDelete