Monday, January 9, 2012

If you only master two things....

If you only make two things from scratch, let them be BROTH, and some kind of FERMENTED FOOD, like pickles, yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, etc.

Broth has been used for years medicinally, and for excellent health. Broth has all the major vitamins and minerals, except Vitamin C and Vitamin K. It seals and heals the stomach lining. It's a POWERHOUSE!

I already posted how to make sauerkraut, (which is a fabulous source of Vit. C). I will post other ferments in the future, but ferments are ALIVE foods. They are great detoxers, and are also a powerhouse of good bacteria, (which most Americans are seriously lacking.)

At the beginning of our diet, we had to drink broth or have soup at least three times a day, times that with 5 people, and that was a lot of broth. I started making broth a month earlier, and I stocked up on quite a bit. Unfortunately, I didn't care about making it taste all that good, because I just wanted to quickly make a ton, without a lot of the extra ingredients. (Basically just water and chicken.) Big Mistake! I learned quickly, that taste did matter, and that broth was quite yummy and comforting when you made it right. It was a little bit of a struggle to get my kids to drink it at first. We had a sticker chart, and if they drank all the broth that they needed in a week, then we did a fun family outing. My two older kids caught on, but my 2 yr. old just didn't get the concept. I first had to hold the cup in order for him to drink it, and then he wanted me to stand right by him when drinking it. He had the hardest time. I was always trying to convince him somehow. About 4 months in, one day my youngest asked for seconds on broth, I about fell out of my seat. Now, he asks for it all the time. :) Yeah!



Chicken Broth:

1 whole chicken
Just enough water to cover the chicken
a bunch of fresh parsley
2 carrots (or some peelings and tops)
2 celery
2 twigs of fresh rosemary
a few peppercorns
salt to taste


Put the whole chicken in a stock pot. Fill the pot with water, til' the chicken is covered. Bring the water to a boil. At this point, some scum will appear on top of your water. Turn the heat down to a very low simmer. Skim off the scum, and discard. Add the remaining ingredients, and put the lid on. Let it simmer on a very low heat for about 3-4 hours. Pull out the chicken. Strain the broth, add your salt, and viola, you have homemade broth you can add to soups, gravies, savory dishes, etc.

Enjoy...oh yeah, when you put the broth in the refrigerator, the fat will form a white crust on top. Do not skim it off! That is good animal fat. The kind that is good for the body and the brain. It will melt back into your broth when warmed up! Enjoy!

Keep eatin' fat!

Brittney

No comments:

Post a Comment